[TriLUG] cdrom: does pushing the tray in damage them?

Mark Shuford davemarcus at pobox.com
Mon Oct 9 16:18:09 EDT 2006

Pushing it in to start closing is the way every tray loading CD drive behaves as far as I have observed since the mid-early 1980's. This going all the way back to a couple of old Denon and Sony systems (audio, of course).

Now, I'll also mention that the Sony, eventually, exhibited the "tray won't stay in" problem that you mention. And a friend's Sony (exactly same model) broke even before mine. (Thus began my dis-illusion with Sony products...)

I've not run into a broken tray on a computer CD drive... yet.

My belief is that those that break are due to bad design for production (read, we made it with a bit cheaper materials/strength-at-this-point than the engineers said to) rather than that they are not engineered to work by pushing in the tray.

mds