[TriLUG] cdrom: does pushing the tray in damage them?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Oct 9 18:34:30 EDT 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Cristobal Palmer wrote:

> I think the problem is not where you think it is. It's
> much more likely that the laser is dirty and that the
> drive doesn't realize it's seeing a valid disk.

Hmm. I gave up getting it to accept a disk. I'm now trying
to just close the tray so that I don't whack it as I walk
past. Does your theory still apply if there's no CD?

I certainly could give the laser a wipe with windex and
kleenex.

> It's popping back open because it's spitting out
> what it thinks is an invalid disk.
>
> Does your box have dusty, grimy innards?

no it's pretty clean and I leave the cover off so I can get
at it easily - there's no dust bunnies and I give it a whiz
around with a shop vac whenever need to change hardware etc.
So all the fans/cables are clean.

Joe