[TriLUG] cdrom: does pushing the tray in damage them?

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Mon Oct 9 21:08:20 EDT 2006

I think popular opinion would agree that what you heard was either

1) only applicable at the time, to the earliest iterations of these devices,
or
2) FUD.

I don't believe I've ever encountered any tray-loading device (CD or
otherwise) that didn't have a mechanism whereby gently pushing the tray a
few millimeters would cause the closing mechanism to kick in and close the
tray the rest of the way.

There are always exceptions, of course; for example, too vigorous a push
could conceivably shove the tray's rack a tooth or two out of normal
position against the closing pinion, possibly (but not necessarily; depends
on mechanism design) causing the tray to fully close without the internal
hub-gripping mechanism fully closing.  However, I think that our original
poster has made it reasonably clear that he's treating his device with care.

I've always pushed my drives closed with a gentle shove, and I've never had
a drive have the problem the OP described.  In fact, I've even accidentally
ripped the tray right out of the drive (walked past the machine too close
when the tray was out; snagged it with my leg), shoved it back in, and had
the drive essentially keep working (not working WELL, of course, but not
dead!).

YMMV always applies, though. :-)

~B