[TriLUG] cdrom: does pushing the tray in damage them?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Oct 10 08:22:32 EDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

Thanks to John Mitchell for the official word from Dell on
the matter.

> especially since the fact that pushing on the tray is a
> generally accepted method of closing the drive,

Establishing this has been one of the purposes of my
posting. It wasn't a given at the time of my posting.

> So in conclusion, my guess is that there is no likely
> correlation between these two events (pushing in the tray,
> and failure to detect closure of the tray), and that all
> of the observed correlations are coincidence, brought
> about by the common practice of closing the tray by
> pushing on it, and the fact that all things with moving
> parts fail eventually.

sounds logical enough. I can't think of a counter argument,
with what (little) I know about the mechanism of a cdrom.

Thanks

Joe