[TriLUG] Possibly off-topic, but... Hot 1's, Cool 0's?

Byarlay, Wayne A. wab at purdue.edu
Tue Oct 10 15:55:55 EDT 2006

Let's say you have a computer, and its OS is Linux. [There, I just made
it relavant to this forum! ;) ]

Then, let's say it's running a program that uses ALL available memory,
and fills it with binary 1's.

Is this alleged computer using MORE ELECTRICITY than if the program were
storing all binary 0's?

Also, is this alleged computer producing MORE HEAT than if the program
were storing all binary 0's?

I know this is a very silly question. but I've always wondered about
this, ever since I learned that "0" simply meant that a certain
transistor had a voltage of 0, and a "1" had a voltage of +5v (or +3.5,
or whatever they're using nowadays).

WAB