[TriLUG] Sendmail is spamming

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Oct 13 10:33:23 EDT 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Roy Vestal wrote:

> I'm working with a local non-profit that has a spam problem. They have a
> mailing list and some of the spam we get in the majordomo list is being sent
> to. The majordomo program parses this email looking for valid maillist
> commands, then it sends a response to the originating email address.
>
> Since the original email address is bogus,

I'm not an e-mail expert either, but something that would
help is a spam filter that rejects the e-mail from the bogus
e-mail address in the first place. On receipt of an e-mail
connect request from the sender, the MTA does a connect back
to the originating MTA with a RCPT command, to see if the
sender is known by the MTA. If not, the e-mail is rejected.
I believe postfix has this built in.

Joe