[TriLUG] gaim/ircd help

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Oct 15 16:23:27 EDT 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Brian Henning wrote:

> Some common ones are freenode,
> EFnet, and DALnet.

have an IRC server and a jabber server (ejabberd) running
here and got the bugs worked out so can connect to either
locally from gaim. Have connected to both an IRC server and
jabber server in the outside world. Loaded the irc_conntrack
module, but didn't look to see if it was required.

One thing that confused me was the username and passwd that
you needed on the client. I assumed you needed an account on
a server. It seems that these are just required to run the
program and that the server doesn't care who you are.

I now find my son doesn't know which server his friends are
connecting to, so I've sent him off to find out. Probably
his friends are using proprietary clients/protocols and
connecting to MSN/AOL or whatever.

Joe