[TriLUG] Techno-Politics Talk on Trilug List (Was: FBI wants, blah, blah)

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 11:42:24 EDT 2006

Matthew Lavigne wrote:
> OK, only going to reply to one of these but can we keep the political
> BS and talking heads off the linux list?
I will risk making myself (even more) unpopular by saying that I don't
mind these kinds of messages.  But that's just me.

However, it is clear that, historically speaking, the LUG list has not
been a place for political discussions, even when
those discussions would likely be of interest to a large subset of the
LUG list members.  OTOH, the Internetworkers
list seems to have a lot of overlap with the LUG list and political talk
is not uncommon there.  So I'll suggest that
if one wants to start a conversation on this topic, INW might be a
better list.

Unless somebody thinks we need a whole new mailing list for this region,
to discuss "techno-politics" or whatever
you want to call it.  If anybody thinks such a thing would be useful,
I'll volunteer to host it.

> I understand that this has privacy concerns but what do either of the
> threads posted have to do with linux?

Well, many ISPs use Linux, and some (many?) LUG members work for such
ISPs?  There's always
been a strong bond between the "unix / linux world" and the "internet
world."

TTYL,

Phil