[TriLUG] Techno-Politics Talk on Trilug List (Was: FBI wants, blah, blah)

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 13:29:15 EDT 2006

On 10/19/06, William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:
> Not to be a cynic about the subject, but I think the government's track
> record suggests that the storage of the logs would be at the ISP's expense
> and burden.

Almost certainly.  The question I have, however, is would these requirements
apply to a) organizations like TriLUG that provide services like shell
accounts and e-mail to their users and b) a personal co-located server
that someone has where they offer shell and e-mail accounts to a few
friends!  (How's that for bringing the discussion squarely back into
the on-topic category?)

Of course, what's likely to happen is that they'll mandate something
that lots of people just ignore, until, of course, the FBI comes knocking
on TriLUG's door asking for their logs.  And that is the point where
the sh... hits the fan.  The question becomes then, is the risk worth it?

> [1] but I'm happy to start a 'vi is better than emacs' flamewar on irc
> *grin*

Hey!  Them's fightin words! :-P

Cheers,
Tanner