[TriLUG] Need Linux solution for Quicken

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Fri Oct 20 13:22:48 EDT 2006

Owen Berry <oberry at trilug.org> wrote:
> Have you looked at CrossOver by CodeWeavers?  (http://www.codeweavers.com/)
> Looks like they have a free trial of CrossOver Linux available for
> you to try before you buy.
>
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 10:11:11AM -0400, Tommy Williams wrote:
>> My wife's computer is being migrated from Windows to Ubuntu, and the
>> only application we lack is a replacement for Quicken, a problem is
>> created by our use of the Quicken Bill Pay service which interfaces
>> with the Quicken software.
>>
>> I have explored the use of WINE to get Quicken to run, everything
>> appears to work except the online services (which is the one thing
>> that I _must_ have).

I am using Quicken right now with no problems.  I use CrossOver Office
5 (currently 5.0.3), which is an implementation of WINE.  What
CodeWeavers has added to WINE is a presetup selection that gets you
to the point of Quicken Online to work.  (The following may also
work to make WINE working -- it is just not as convenient)  What
you do is:

1) Install MS fonts.  The easiest way to do this non-automatically
    is to make a CD copy of your C:\Windows\Fonts directory, and
    copy the result into your ${WINEROOT}/support/${BOTTLE}/drive_c/
    Windows/Fonts directory.  I also happen to sym-link these to my
    /usr/share/fonts/truetype/MSWindows directory to make them
    available to OpenOffice/Star Office as well.  (Don't forget to
    make the fonts.dir file and resync X-Windows)

2) Install IE6 (CodeWeavers has a special loader that will avoid
    installing DLL's that clobber CrossOver/WINE libraries).  Check
    to install everything -- including Media Player.  You may also
    need to download and install the flash plugin so that some
    pages of Quicken's site work correctly.

3) Install MS's MSI installer.

4) Pickup and install the MDAC and SCR redistributables to give
    IE support for data access and Windows Scripting.

5) Download and install the DCOM95 or DCOM98 module to provide
    COM-model OLE support.

You see, Quicken is dependent on IE DLL's to handle networking
(Quicken uses IE's browser component), and IE is dependent on the
above.

Then you install Quicken (up to Quicken 2005; Q-2006 and Q-2007
are broken) (the installer makes some adjustments to Quicken's
configuration that are not done after installation if you do the
above steps afterwards).

What's nice about the CXO version, is that these steps are easily
clickable from their configuration program.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA