[TriLUG] new SATA drive 101

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Mon Oct 23 13:30:00 EDT 2006

Matthew Opoka wrote:
> The reason you are not seeing your physical
> devices in the fstab is due to the fact you are using Logical Volume
> Management or LVM. LVM maps you physical device or physical partition

Ahhh...so that's the LVM I've been hearing about...

> to a volume group and logical volume, ie: /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00.  In
> addition, you /boot partition is being mounted by the label name.
> To figure out what physical partition is mapped to which volume, run the command below and notice the PV Name:
> /usr/sbin/pvdisplay
>
> One way to figure out which partition may be labeled /boot, run the commands below:
> /sbin/tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | grep name
> /sbin/tune2fs -l /dev/sda2 | grep name
> I'm assuming the later command will error out because I suspect it is a physical volume, pv.
> The output of fdisk -l /dev/sda will also confirm which partition is the pv.

Thanks - those commands confirm both my assumptions and yours.

Since I've already added an additional IDE drive (/dev/hdc) once without
even realizing that LVM was there, I assume that I don't need to use
it to add this new SATA drive?  I can just follow my usual steps of
fdisk, parted, edit /etc/fstab, etc?

(this drive is just going to be a place to archive large files - mapped
into the filesystem at /backup or something)

Thanks,
Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services