[TriLUG] RE with bash

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Oct 25 07:34:00 EDT 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

> But it doesn't handle 'Flash|Player' as a directory name.  I don't have to
> think through the general solution, but reading this made me want to point
> out that you're just trading off the space character as a potential problem
> for the pipe character.

I was falling over file/directory names with blanks in them
all over the place. This solution was a big enough step
forward that I'm very happy. I guess sometimes doing the job
badly is good enough, However your caution is well taken: I
am setting myself up for trouble in the future. A quick look
at /tmp and there aren't any filenames with '|' in them
right now. The only two chars that aren't allowed in
filenames are '\n' and '\0' (NULL). I should think about
replacing the '|' with one of them.

> but it's important to be aware that you're not solving the
> root problem, you're just conveniently avoiding it.

yes you're right

thanks Joe