[TriLUG] Nov 9: OTD Open Source Licensing Talk

Paul Jones pjones at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Oct 26 20:23:02 EDT 2006

Please forward as appropriate. This is me talking about Open and Free for the
Office of Technology Development's Seminar series on Nov. 9. Having folks
that know about Open and Free there and asking ?s would be very helpful
and fun.

Post questions etc at http://ibiblio.org/pjones/wordpress/?p=1626 where you can
also find this article/entry:

As part of the <a href="http://research.unc.edu/otd/">Office of Technology
Development</a>'s <a href="http://research.unc.edu/otd/seminar/">Carolina
Innovations Seminars</a>, I'll be speaking on <strong>"Open Source Licensing:
The Basics, The Benefits, The Buzz"</strong> on November 9 from 5:15 to 6:15 in
014 Sitterson Hall.

In the spirit of Openness, please dear readers and potential attendees, use the
comments here to let me know any specific questions or areas that you'd like to
see covered. I don't want to talk endlessly on the differences between GPL 2
and 3, for example, unless someone cares, but then if someone does I want to be
sure to be prepared and to do a good job.

Some helpful source material (pun intended) can be found at these links:
the 4 Software Freedoms </a>
Software</a>
Software</a>

For non-software, see <a href="http://creativecommons.org">Creative
Commons</a>, <a href="http://icommons.org">iCommons (international Creative
Commons movement)</a> , and the <a href="http://sciencecommons.org/">Science
Commons Project</a>.

This is another experiment in opening the conversation like the one I just did
College where using the wiki really worked well</a>. This time a blog post
instead.

So post at http://ibiblio.org/pjones/wordpress/?p=1626

                               Paul Jones
   "Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray
                  http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/blog/
    pjones at ibiblio.org   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071