[TriLUG] streaming audio

Barry Gaskins barry.gaskins at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 22:01:29 EST 2006

   Well it is probably not what you are asking but what I have is just a
samba share on a ubuntu fileserver box.  I have all the mp3 file and
anything else my family wants to share.  I guess that if you wanted http
access you could also run an apache server.

   I am curious as to what is to be gained from streaming the content as
opposed to just sending the whole file.  I guess it is clear that if you
have audio files that are more than a few minutes long then the advantage is
that you dont have to transfer many megabytes.  But most of the mp3 files I
have are just a few megs so I have not had any problem just opening the file
over the samba share and playing it in the player of my choice.

   - Barry Gaskins