[TriLUG] streaming audio

Joseph E. ODoherty joey at odoherty.net
Mon Oct 30 10:05:18 EST 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 11:23:30PM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On 10/29/06, Cristobal Palmer <cristobalpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:

snip();

> I've also run daapd[2] to feed music via DAAP[3]. Add in a multicast
> DNS[4] server and you can serve music automatically to Amarok[5][6]
> and other music programs[7][8][9]. DAAP can work over the net, but
> by default, multicast DNS only announces itself on a local network, so that
> would solve the problem of keeping it local.  I would highly recommend
> going that route if you can.

I also want to put in some good words for DAAP. I've been using the Firefly
Media Server[10] (formerly known as mt-daapd) to play music in iTunes and
Amarok. It has a built-in mDNS server (or can use Avahi[11]) and supports
on-the-fly transcoding so you can store your media as flac or ogg or
whatever you prefer and still stream them safely to iTunes. It's truly a
beautiful thing.

/joeyo

[10] http://fireflymediaserver.org/
[11] http://avahi.org/