[TriLUG] Linux Photo Management Application?

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Tue Oct 31 19:13:12 EST 2006

I'm looking for some recommendations...

Short question
==============

I'm looking at moving from "big directory of photos" to KPhotoAlbum or
digiKam.  Does anyone have experience with one or both applications that
they'd like to share?

Right now, I use Gimp when I need to edit photos.  I download photos with
gphoto2.  I use KDE, and it looks like KPhotoAlbum does everything I need.
Before I take the plunge with one tool, I was wondering whether digiKam (or
some other app?) might be a better choice.

Long version
============

So far, I have been storing my digital camera's photos in one big directory.
I have a few other "album" folders that are just collections of symlinks to
the primary storage location.  I keep the output of jhead and some other
manually-entered information about each folder in a separate files on my
machine.  I browse photos with kuickshow.

I'm finally collecting enough photos that I'd like to use some sort of photo
management application.  I'm not fond of applications that take my data and
store it in some obscure format or in some other way that is inaccessible to
me.  If I find a cool tool, I often end up using a bunch of its neat
features, so I'm not opposed to something slick and innovative.  I just have
a couple of requirements:

1) I don't want the application to be messing with my original photos.  Other
than adding some info to standard meta-data fields in the photo, I'd like the
application to leave my files alone.  Ideally, they'd all still sit in one
directory, and the application would just look for them there.  That would
make it easier for me to continue to back them up the same way I do now.

2) If the application is abandoned by its developers, I'd like to be able to
be able to script my way to another tool.  I don't want to lose my original
images or any of the metadata that I enter just because I switch to another
tool.

3) I really just need a tool that helps me organize the photos and browse
through them.  I'd like to be able to enter metadata about the photos that
helps me categorize them.  I don't want to create albums and separate my
photos.  I just want to enter info about the photos and then "query" the
entire set of photos for the ones that match the query.

Perhaps there are some other cool features that I don't know that I need.  If
you've got a favorite solution here, I'm open to recommendations.

Happy Halloween!
---Tom