[TriLUG] Time warner wierdness

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed Nov 1 06:00:29 EST 2006

Not that I have an answer (I don't) (maybe uncle_ben does?) but in my past
experience with TWC, they'd do stuff like suddenly change the ip addresses
of the DNS servers without mentioning it to anyone.  I eneded up running
caching-nameserver to avoid their funkiness.

As an aside, TWC still ranks (IMVHO) well ahead of Comcast.  My experience
with Comcast is that they redirect all queries for their DNS servers
(from their clients, at least) to port 80 on the DNS server.  Then the
server does a browser check.  As you may guess, it doesn't like Linux, so
refuses to serve up the appropriate page.  Weird.  Again,
caching-nameserver is a usable workaround.

Just for what it is worth....

--
William Sutton