[TriLUG] i2c and ASUS

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sat Nov 4 22:53:14 EST 2006

OK, I give up.

I have spent much of the day hunting through the web for help, but keep
coming up blank.  I think I have learned how to build a new kernel using
initramfs, but it seems that I don't yet know how to properly activate
the sensors so that lm-sensors will give any results.

I used to be quite good at building and installing kernels ( back before
history began ( using LILO )), but have never before made one with
either initrd or initramfs, so am quite proud that I have managed to
make one that boots successfully.

Over the past month or so, I have been having problems with a fairly
new machine that just seems to stop.  It wound up not even booting, so,
under advice from Intrex Cary, replaced the motherboard and power
supply.  The new motherboard is an ASUS K8V-MX, and I would think that
it SHOULD be able to provide the information that lm-sensors is looking
for.  However, no i2c devices show up in /dev, and, of course, no
information, either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian