[TriLUG] Cluster Suggestions / Comparisons

Brian Bell bbellwfu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 11:15:26 EST 2006

I am looking to deploy a Linux based cluster to establish HA services
(primarily for serving up a web application).

I have done a bit of research on the topic and understand the difference
between a load-balance/failover HA cluster vs. a HPC (high performance
computing) cluster.  I do not need an HPC cluster.  We're talking Apache
here - not physics calculations.

So - my questions are thus:
- Does anyone have any strong opinions on a particular HA system/project ?
- Can anyone compare OpenSSI v. Ultramonkey
- Has anyone used commercial cluster service providers such as the Scyld
platform at Penguin Computing?
- Has anyone deployed OpenQRM ? (i know this is a little different approach)

Thanks for any input you folks can give!

Brian

ps. i've got about 7 "spare" x330's ready to rock