[TriLUG] Question about wiring a new home with Cat6/e

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 12:38:48 EST 2006

Roughly two years ago I crossed this same bridge, except I only have one AP
in the house as it covers everywhere and I prefer the speed of copper.

Someone on this list mentioned drops at about 70-90 each...the only way I
could get the price that low was to have three drops per outlet so each box
in the house was going to run ~$240 * the 12 locations I wanted wired...I
said the hell with that and did it my self.   I didn't use Cat6 as I get the
GB speeds out of the Cat5e I bought, but I took it a bit further and used a
"composite" cable I found
online<http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%255Fid=314&sku=43077>and
wired the whole house (3200 sq ft) for roughly $500 when all was said
and done.  Now in every room in the house I have cable, phone and internet
and as someone else mentioned I can swap out the phone for internet or vise
versa if needed.  For some rooms I put multiple jacks, like our MBR (that's
Bed Room) has 3 so no matter where my wife decides the bed should be we can
position a TV on the opposite side and a phone by the bed.  I also ran a 2"
conduit from crawlspace to attic in case I want to alter things in the
future.  Finally a few runs outside for the cable company/phone company etc
and one for the back deck (TV for football parties, the phone and internet
are disconnected...no long distance on my tab!)

The whole job took the better part of a sunday afternoon to wire and I went
through several cordless drills, I came back when the walls were up and
painted to terminate everything, that only took an evening.  It looks great
and functions just lIke I wanted it to.

The only other thing I suggest is you also take the opportunity to prewire
for surround sound in whatever will become your Living room...I didn't do it
in my house, but helped a friend do it at hers and I'm insanely jelouse of
how how it turned out!  We prewired the Loft and Living room and she's using
both

HTH,
Steve