[TriLUG] Thinkpad T-60 graphics/battery

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 22:39:22 EST 2006

On 11/8/06, Jim Tuttle <jtuttle at prairienet.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the helpful responses about your T-60 experiences.  I was
> wonder, though, if anyone had anything to say about the graphics card
> choices.  Obliviously, the 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 probably
> screams, but I hear it causes the fan to run constantly and it probably
> reduces battery life.  The most hard core graphics use the machine would
> get would be watching DVD's at conferences, but hardware acceleration
> would be nice.  Anyone have any experience with the Intel 950 integrated
> graphics?

Recent intel graphics chips have been decent if not respectable.  The
main point in favor of with linux is the open source drivers including
acceleration.  Though the "radeon" driver has been getting better in
Xorg 7.x, and can even run beryl.
--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com