[TriLUG] to delete root, or not too?

jason watts jsnthegod at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 16:46:31 EST 2006

hello

i spent today downloading installing and updateing (851 updates) fedora core
5. as part of my senior project.

after i was done, i was told to add this account, and give him root
privlages. so, i added the user to the group 'root'.  then i was instructed
to google and find out how to delete the root account since i said i dont
think its posible.

so, my questions are,

1) how do i delete root? can i do it threw the normal way you delete any
user account?

2) was told if i cant delete it, to find a way to lock it down and disable
it... so, what all would i need to lock down? and dont i need some of the
functionality of root for certin operations to be completed?

3) if its posible, for some reason, this doesnt seem like the smartest of
idea's, and i need to prove to my ta(teachers assistant) why we should not
delete root.

thanks for any help
jason