[TriLUG] to delete root, or not too?

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 17:40:08 EST 2006

jason watts wrote:
> hello
>
> i spent today downloading installing and updateing (851 updates)
> fedora core 5. as part of my senior project.
>
> after i was done, i was told to add this account, and give him root
> privlages. so, i added the user to the group 'root'.  then i was
> instructed to google and find out how to delete the root account since
> i said i dont think its posible.
>
> so, my questions are,
>
> 1) how do i delete root? can i do it threw the normal way you delete
> any user account?

I was just able to do the following:

[root at mariner ~] useradd -u 0 -o falseroot

[root at mariner ~] logout

[prhodes at mariner ~] su - falseroot

[root at mariner ~] userdel root

[root at mariner ~] logout

[prhodes at mariner ~] su - falseroot

[falseroot at mariner ~] cd /root/

[falseroot at mariner ~] touch foo

[falseroot at mariner ~] su - root
su: user root does not exist

So I created a new user which is equivelant to root, deleted root, was
able to write
a file in a dir which requires root permissions, but showed that root no
longer
exists.

Hope this helps.

TTYL,