[TriLUG] to delete root, or not too?

jason watts jsnthegod at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 17:49:07 EST 2006

yes, all this helps... is disabling root a common practice out in the real
world? it just strikes me as something you wouldent want to do...

also, if root is deleted or disabled, dont you loose part of the
functionality of su ... the part where you just type su - and you are now
root, provideing you know the pw?

and from my experience with ubuntu (loaded a vm of it and changed the
passwords around) there is a root account, just not able to log in
graphicly.

thanks for all the input, and im not trying to start a flameing war with the
questions... just the enlightend disscusion to either do it, or pose an
argument of why not too.

jason