[TriLUG] Notebook pad type mice

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Nov 14 12:54:09 EST 2006

Hi all,

I just got a Compaq V6133CL notebook computer. It's got its good and bad
points, but I needed it fast and Costco will refund my money if it doesn't
work with Linux (it appears to, although shakily).

Anyway, this particular notebook computer was designed by a dummy who located
the pad type mouse to the right of the center of the keyboard, such that in
normal touch typing my right hand contacts the pad, moves the mouse, and
often does a click via "tapping".

I'd like to configure this mouse such that:

1) "Tapping" is disabled. It's just not worth it.
2) Increase sensitivity such that a slight contact with the skin on my hand
doesn't move the mouse.

This is my second laptop (the first one broke and I returned it), and both are
a PITA for a touch typist due to the pad mouse. THis one is much worse due to
the offset. Any help would be greatly available.

By the way, at least this mousepad has a button to disable it so I can
VimOutliner in peace.

This is a SynPS/2 Synaptics Touchpad, according to  Mandriva 2007's hardware
listing facility.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm