[TriLUG] FTP (Again...)

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Nov 14 18:08:50 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>
>> I don't have any good ideas - here's a suggestion -
>>
>> o does your ftp demon create the files with different owner, permissions,
>> date while it's downloading, than wind up on the file after its been
>> closed?
>
> when I download a file with ncftp I can see with lsof that the file is open
> and ncftp has it open, but after the download I don't see it open. Can you do
> something similar with the files in your upload directory or look for files
> opened by your ftpd?

if someone is doing an upload to the ftpd machine and you
have /etc/services with all the correct strings and look
with

`netstat -ap | grep ftp`

you'll see something like

ftpd_machine:ftp      other_machine:high_port         ESTABLISHED
ftpd_machine:ftp-data other_machine:another_high_port ESTABLISHED||TIME_WAIT

when the upload is over, the ftp-data connection will
disapear. When the client disconnects the ftp connection
will go.

You could look for an inactive ftpd, then possibly
block||kill the ftpd, do your transfer and then restart the
ftpd

Joe