[TriLUG] FTP (Again...)

Dave Schwartzburg rooney at uwalumni.com
Wed Nov 15 08:32:58 EST 2006

> My question is simply this: How do you know the upload is complete?

I ran into this problem at work once before.  We receive FTP uploads on a regular basis from an external source, and run a script with cron to parse the data.  On occasion something on the sender's end would break and we would only receive a partial upload of the file.  I realized that after their upload had failed the vsftpd log file would not have an "OK UPLOAD" statement for the file they had been uploading.  So I modified the script that our cron job was running to look at the vsftpd log file and match the "OK UPLOAD" statement to the file to ensure that the upload had been successful.

Perhaps you could look for this statement in your vsftpd logs to identify when new files have been successfully uploaded?

Dave