[TriLUG] edgy ate my nic

John Mitchell john280z at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 10:02:27 EST 2006

On 11/15/06, Mark Kempster <mark at kempster.org> wrote:
<snip>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction to find what the nic is, and
> more importantly which driver to use? It's an astonishingly humble
> white-box machine with onboard-just-about-everything. I want to say
> 8639too sounds familiar... Assuming the hardware's all ok, is it easiest
> just to try modprobe'ing everything I can find until something works?

Mark,
   You might want to try one of the small LiveCD distros to see what
hardware they detect.

http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

are two of them. Their small size means they boot very quickly.
   Did you try the Ubuntu 6.10 in Live CD mode? Did the nic work OK then?

johnm