[TriLUG] Flash(animation) web site equivalent tools for Linux?

Glenn Hennessee Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 21 08:49:24 EST 2006

Mike Shaw wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a friend who is trying to create a website on a Linux box and wants
> to do something simialr to flash animation on LInux, i.e. build the
> animation using Linux tools, but having no luck in his search.  He wants to
> build a very "interactive"(pop-out menus, hovering menus/items , besides
> just animations on the site itself) website and his base for comparison is
> flash.  I wanted to see if anyone who has any suggestions/ideas on what
> tools might be available for him to use?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Shaw
Check out http://www.osflash.org/open_source_flash_projects for tools
for doing flash like things. I haven't checked any of them out so I
can't testify how well they work.

There is also this:
http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/create_flash_content_using_ooo_impress
for creating flash content using Open Office Impress.

And there is this:
http://www.kinesissoftware.com/index.php
There is a linux version but it's unclear what the future of the
software is. It looks as though the author has lost interest. "17
September 2006 : KineticFusion is currently unavailable for purchase.
It's been a interesting few years and I am going to take some time to
look at future directions to pursue, both inside and outside the Flash
world. While it saddens me to suspend KineticFusion, I feel it's only
fair to potential future customers. At this stage, I would like to give
a big thank you to all the people over the years that have supported
KineticFusion through their considered comments, feedback and, most of
all, their financial support. Thanks and hopefully we'll all talk again
- Alex Bradley, Kinesis Software"

I hope your friend doesn't forget the handicapped and make the site
inaccessible. Accessibility for web sites is now an area that is heating
up with demand for people with those talents to make a site truly
accessible. Flash can be made accessible but it requires some more work.
Personally, I find flash to be nothing but eye candy that is cute the
first time you see it and a pain in the butt from then on.

glenn

--
Glenn Hennessee
Department of Chemistry