[TriLUG] How to find FSB speed within linux

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:16:41 EST 2006

Greetings,

A coworker asked me this question and after searching
for a while, I can't seem to find a really good answer.

His question is how do you find what the current front side
bus (FSB) speed is from within a running linux system?
(Obviously on an x86 system...)

If you can get to the startup logs in /var/log/dmesg it
might have the speed there as "host bus speed" but
from observing several different systems it's doesn't
seem to be always guaranteed and some systems
seem to make that file not user readable.  I can't
seem to find this reliably, though, in either /proc
or /sys.

So, does anyone have a better answer?

Thanks much,
Tanner