[TriLUG] Nagios plugin check_http segmentation fault - potential for buffer overflow?

Ian Kilgore ian at trilug.org
Wed Nov 22 16:09:38 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 03:47:46PM -0500, David McDowell wrote:
> well ian says:  I thought it should do 'UNKNOWN' for any exit code
> that is not 0, 1, or 2  (segfault is 139)
>
> so I say, why isn't nagios looking for that and throwing a yellow or
> red warning if a plugin throws segfault?  mmm, curious.  :)
>
> David

But I lied :)

It looks like unknown is '3', and anything else gets you "Return code is
out of bounds" errors in your logs.

Anyway, I think nagios should do something /other/ than plod along
happily reporting a service as "OK" when the plugin explodes :)

Maybe that's been changed in later versions.
--
Ian Kilgore
echo "pfxz at pfxz.trw" | tr pzfwxt ikagno