[TriLUG] Availability of bzip2 in 20 years?

Len Boyle Len.Boyle at sas.com
Sun Nov 26 12:20:22 EST 2006

An interesting topic.

Until a few years ago we had an 1600/6500bpi 9-track tape drive that had reached a state where the foam insulation in the box (used for noise reduction) would fall apart with a touch. And this tape drive was newer then the 800bpi tape drives. But those electronics would just keep on working. But you can still buy new reel tape drives that take up much less space and cost much less then the old stk or ibm tape drives.

We had a rule of thump that those old 9-track tapes would only last about 7 years and would have to be recorded after that. But I have seen older tapes read.
I believe a number of cdroms would not even last that long.

Quantum claims a 30 year archive time for the dlt. I know that time period was not good for an active tape as they could wear out in a shorter time with only a few hundred uses.

The libraries assume at least 100 years for micro-films if made of the correct materials, processed correctly and stored in the correct environment.

And paper made of the correct materials, processed correctly and stored in the correct environment can last hundreds of years.

I remember seeing a little news piece a number of years ago that Rockwell were researching machines that would write a hologram on a micro-fiche (index card size piece of film). If the micro-fiche was damaged the data could still be read. But I never saw them on the marketplace.

I have also seen talk of using fancy barcodes to record programs and data on paper, which would last longer then magnetic and optical media.

len