[TriLUG] Spamassassin+Postfix on a per-domain basis?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Dec 3 14:26:05 EST 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 13:27, Jason Faulkner wrote:
> On 12/1/06, Jason Tower <jason at cerient.net> wrote:
> > rather than trying to manipulate postfix in strange and unusual ways,
> > might it be easier to tell SA which domains to whitelist (or !whitelist)?
>
> My fear with that is that the mail for the other domains will still be
> sent through SA. I don't know how that's going to affect server load
> on a server that's already quite taxed. Do you know if whitelisting
> through SA will prevent it from even scanning the email?
>
> --
> Jason Faulkner
> http://oldos.org

Hi Jason,

I'm coming into this discussion late, so I might not have all the facts.

On my comptuer, I run spamassassin from procmail, configuring that link into
procmailrc. I would think that you could write a very simple wrapper script
that, if the domain is one of those to be spamassassened, passes it on to
spamassassin, and otherwise simply passes back the proper info to procmail.

See the diagrams in this article:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200402/200402.htm#_Email_Basics

I'd think that this "quick return wrapper" would work no matter where you plug
in Spamassassin, or probably spamd for that matter.

SteveT