[TriLUG] RAID related boot problems

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Dec 3 14:39:04 EST 2006

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, Randall Barlow wrote:

> Howdy, I'm trying a new install (since I hosed my last one) and I figured I'd
> give the RAID+LVM thing a go.  I followed the guide at
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml and
> everything seemed to have worked ok, but when I boot I get 3 no-fun (TM)
> lines:

You don't mention anything about addressing the problem of
booting a RAID/mirrored_disk machine...

Do you know that the BIOS doesn't know what a raid device is
and can't boot off it? There is some trickery involved, but
not having done it I don't know how. To start you could set
up your root partition on a regular drive and get /usr and
your other partitions working on RAID first.

Joe