[TriLUG] Open source backup tools
slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 4 13:31:50 EST 2006
On Monday 04 December 2006 11:33, Matt Frye wrote:
> I'm looking for an open source/free backup & restore tool. Anyone
> have anything they recommend?
> If you're using AMANDA, does it suck?
I use an rsync system based on Kevin Korb's "Backups using rsync" GoLUG
presentation, which you can see at
http://www.sanitarium.net/golug/rsync_backups.html. I also wrote extensively
on the subject here:
I use a quick rsync backup every day, which backs up only what's changed. I
have a script to keep revisions, so I can "put it back" to any one of those
revisions. Once a week I burn the latest revision to DVD's, *on the backup
server*, so as not to slow down my actual work. It works out well for me.
* Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
* Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
* Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
* Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
* Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
More information about the TriLUG