[TriLUG] Open source backup tools

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 4 13:31:50 EST 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 11:33, Matt Frye wrote:
> I'm looking for an open source/free backup & restore tool.  Anyone
> have anything they recommend?
>
> If you're using AMANDA, does it suck?
>
> Matt

I use an rsync system based on Kevin Korb's "Backups using rsync" GoLUG
presentation, which you can see at
http://www.sanitarium.net/golug/rsync_backups.html. I also wrote extensively
on the subject here:

http://www.troubleshooters.cxm/lpm/200609/200609.htm

I use a quick rsync backup every day, which backs up only what's changed. I
have a script to keep revisions, so I can "put it back" to any one of those
revisions. Once a week I burn the latest revision to DVD's, *on the backup
server*, so as not to slow down my actual work. It works out well for me.

HTH

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm