[TriLUG] Setting Up RAID-5

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Thu Dec 7 23:31:54 EST 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 23:07, Jason Tower wrote:
> 1. the bootloader is installed on the MBR of the first disk only.  if that
> disk goes bye bye you're in trouble.  sure, you can install lilo/grub on
> multiple MBRs but that's a pita and an inelegant solution.

I don't really have any comments regarding 2 and 3, but I think I disagree
that it's that much of a pita to install grub on two disks (and would you
really need to install it on more than two disks?)  You just run grub, tell
it a root, tell it to setup, tell it the other root, tell it to setup again,
then quit.  Of course, I don't think I'd like to try this on 30 disks or
anything like that, but it works pretty well for what a viable software RAID
system would be (it's how I have mine set up!)