[TriLUG] Setting Up RAID-5

Lee Fickenscher elfick at mac.com
Fri Dec 8 12:48:11 EST 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Brian Henning wrote:

> Christopher L Merrill wrote:
>> Brian Henning wrote:
>>>
>>> Two reasons:
>>> 1) Throughput, particularly on read.  Striping across several
>>> disks means I can move more than one drive's max data rate at
>>> once (right?).
>> Uhhhmmm...isn't that "performance"?
>
> I'd say it is; I never said performance wasn't a concern.  In fact,
> I said throughput was my #1 concern, followed by data safety, and
> that only uptime wasn't so much a concern.  (I did say /write/
> performance wasn't as much of a concern, which may be where Mr.
> Fickenscher misinterpreted me).

Heh heh, please don't call me "Mr." (thats my dad) :)
You said that work would be done on a separate workstation. While I'm
not inclined to closely examine the numbers, are you sure that disk
throughput is going to be that much of an issue if you are piping
this stuff over your network (or local bus contention for that matter)?
Bragging rights or "just because I want to" are fine excuses in my
book though :D