[TriLUG] LDAP vs AD vs NT domains vs eDirectory vs RHEL directory server

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Mon Dec 11 09:25:28 EST 2006

Chris Bullock wrote:
> 1.  What could be a drop in replacement for our current NT4 domain?
> 2.  What will give us AD type authentication/access and how easy or difficult will it be to set up, ie is there anything as easy as the click and add feature available in AD?

Being a bit more familiar with how your environment looked four years
ago (but being in the dark about the strides made since then) I think
you're probably going to want something more sophisticated than a single
*NIX box with a local password file and Samba.

What I would probably suggest prioritizing is getting a directory
service up first.  Put user metadata in LDAP, passwords in Kerberos V.
Get your toolkit together to effectively manage users in LDAP &
Kerberos.  Once you've got that done, you will need to dig deeply into
Samba documentation and build a new Windows domain with Samba but have
Samba use LDAP & Kerberos directly instead of local system auth.  This
way you don't have to have a samba password file with Windows passwords
in it.

Once thing worth looking into, which I have not yet used in production,
is Fedora Directory Server.  From what I hear it makes life easier than
keeping your user metadata in OpenLDAP, which is a fine back end but
lacking in efficient front end tools.

Best of luck!