[TriLUG] Re: print queues work locally, but not over the network

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Mon Dec 11 10:44:19 EST 2006

Steve Litt wrote:
> More info on my CUPS problem. The original symptom description is at the
> bottom of this email. I found out where the print job is getting "stuck" on
> the client, whose hostname is rena. The computer physically connected to the
> printer is at 192.168.100.2 and is called mydesk. Here it is:
>
> [root at rena ~]# ps ax | grep cups
>  6552 ?        Ss     0:01 cupsd
> 11692 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep cups
> [root at rena ~]# lpr -P lp_dark test.txt
> [root at rena ~]# ps ax | grep cups
>  6552 ?        Ss     0:01 cupsd
> 11695 ?        S      0:00 ipp://192.168.100.2:631/printers/lp_dark 11 root
> test.txt 1 job-sheets=none,none job-priority=50
> job-hold-until=no-hold /var/spool/cups/d00011-001
> 11697 pts/2    R+     0:00 grep cups
> [root at rena ~]# cat /var/spool/cups/d00011-001
> steve was here
> and now is gone
> but left his name
> to carry on.
> [root at rena ~]#
>
> In the preceding, the text of /var/spool/cups/d00011-001 exactly matches
> test.txt -- it's exactly what I printed.
>
> To me, the command ipp://192.168.100.2:631/printers/lp_dark looks malformed --
> not an executable. The spool file gets stuck as /var/spool/cups/d00011-001.
> Restarting cups on rena (the client) blows off the job and the spool file.
>
> So basically, I've found where the print job gets stuck (never gets off the
> client computer) but I don't know enough about CUPS to interpret that or
> figure out the next diagnostic test.

run 'lptstat -t' as root on both the client and server and see if any
problems are listed such as a disabled queue.

CUPS has a habit of disabling a print queue whenever the destination
exhibits a problem and you have to manually enable it again.  I have a
print server at work that all my desktops point their CUPS configs at so
I can do print accounting, etc.  Occasionally, if I have a printer go
offline, the CUPS queue on the desktops machines for that printer will
be set disabled and I have to manually enable them agian.

If that is the case, then 'enable PRINTER' as root where PRINTER is the
name of the queue will activate the queue again.

the "command" ipp://192.168.100.2:631/printers/lp_dark isn't really a
command.  It's the CUPS programs replacing their program name with the
activity of what they are doing.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/