[TriLUG] openvms help

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Dec 13 23:44:49 EST 2006

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 17:21, Jason Tower wrote:
> i need someone with solid openvms experience for a semi-quick contract job
> (preferably openvms on compaq alpha hardware).  if you'd like to make some
> quick holiday cash ping me offline and i'll give you the details.

Curious -- what do you all think of OpenVMS? When I worked with VMS on a VAX
in 1987, it was a pretty cool operating system. One thing I liked about it
was if you wrote your C program with an errant pointer, in DOS (and probably
Linux) it would just be intermittent, with the symptoms appearing in a very
different part of the program than the errant pointer. But if you ran the
same program under VMS (after recompiling, obviously), VMS would terminate
with an error the second anything read or wrote a memory location
that "didn't belong to the program". It was the perfect Lint utility.

SteveT