[TriLUG] Distro suggestions

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Tue Dec 19 15:47:23 EST 2006

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> What's up with the bogomips?  Aren't they usually twice the cpu MHz?
> Maybe that's the problem.  And you did specify "-j16" (or "-j32") for
> the make flags, right?

Hmmm well my workstation /proc/cpuinfo would bear that out.  That is weird.

processor       : 0
[snip]
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
[snip]
bogomips        : 6407.06

processor       : 1
[snip]
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
[snip]
bogomips        : 6400.71

processor       : 2
[snip]
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
[snip]
bogomips        : 6400.84

processor       : 3
[snip]
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
[snip]
bogomips        : 6400.78

Even translates onto non-x86 arch (dual 400MHz processor Sun box running
dapper):
cpu             : TI UltraSparc II  (BlackBird)
fpu             : UltraSparc II integrated FPU
[snip]
ncpus probed    : 2
ncpus active    : 2
[snip]
Cpu0Bogo        : 800.39
[snip]
Cpu1Bogo        : 800.05
[snip]

I wonder if something is up with that big multi-xeon beast.  It does
seem rather slow.