[TriLUG] MIDI device help

Bradford Powell bcpowell at email.unc.edu
Tue Dec 19 18:09:04 EST 2006

I've not done this with a physical keyboard before (only with vkeybd),
but I think you need to use something like timidity or fluidsynth
(software synthesizers). For example, with fluidsynth, you start it from
the commandline 'fluidsynth synthgms.sf2' (where synthgms.sf2 is a
soundfount file, google for some free ones).

Then, you can connect the input from your keyboard to output to the
softsynth. 'aconnectgui' provides a gui to do this, or you can use
'aconnect -o' to list the output ports. If your fluidsynth output port
is 129:0, then 'aconnect 20:0 129:0' should get you going.

Hope that makes sense,

-- Bradford Powell