[TriLUG] X will not start on new Mandriva 2007 installation

Douglas Ward binaryflow at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 18:16:22 EST 2006

I am hoping for a Christmas miracle...  :)

I installed Mandriva 2007 (fully updated through urpmi) on my Dell Latitude
D620 laptop.  X will not start!  It returns the following error:

Fatal server error:
no screens found
X10: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0:
       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I have been working on this today and cannot seem to make sense of it.  In
my desperation I have uploaded the following files for your reading
pleasure:

http://www.trilug.org/~douglas/xorg.conf
http://www.trilug.org/~douglas/Xorg.0.log

If anyone can offer any assistance it would certainly be most appreciated.
I can run the laptop fine in command line mode but would love to use the
gui.  FYI: kubuntu and ubuntu both install and run properly with no
problems.  This seems to be a Mandriva specific problem.  Thanks!  Merry
Christmas!