[TriLUG] apm gives wierd values for old battery

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Dec 24 08:48:00 EST 2006

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:48:42 -0800 (PST) Joseph Mack NA3T
<jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:

> Thus I think it's likely that the battery really is
> discharged when it's showing 73% charged.
>
> Is there some way of getting apm and the battery to agree on
> the charge left, or is this an old battery and not
> neccessarily being truthful?

Hi Joe,

Its been a while since I've used APM.  For ACPI, the percent typically
reported is the "percent of the last full charge" not the "percent of
the battery design capacity".  Initially, the two percents are about
equal.  But, over time, most batteries slowly loose the ability to hold
charge so the reported percentage is a fraction of an ever-decreasing
total.

Does that help explain what you're seeing?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/