[TriLUG] FOSS tape backup software?

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Sun Dec 24 22:03:44 EST 2006

The home LAN is in a cycle of growth again and I've got to do something
more reasonable in the way of backups than shuffling an external USB
hard disk around.  I've got a DLT drive strapped to an old Sun box
running (effectively) Fedora Core 3 (it's actually Aurora SPARC Linux 2)
to share with the rest of my LAN.

I'm aware of less sophisticated tools like dump, tar, etc. that work
perfectly fine but don't have some of the bells & whistles you'd expect
from tape backup software.

Moving up the food chain I'm aware of AMANDA but I've not heard anyone
being particularly enthused with it.  Does anyone have other FOSS
recommendations for something like this?