[TriLUG] Apache question

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 10:27:00 EST 2006

Does the netstat -na output still show the port(s) listening?  Can it be
accessed via telnet?  If the service is not actively listening, then you can
start with Apache's listener, rather than any of the page serving functions.

The first issue is to verify that the server is still seeing the HTTP
traffic, regardless of Apache's state.  If that's the case, and the traffic
is still coming in, then you will likely need to truss the process while
generating some traffic, and see if you can identify why Apache is not
responding.  The Apache mailing lists will likely be your best source for
assistance in that matter, should you be unfamiliar with parsing a truss.
It may also eat up a bunch of disk space to write that all out to disk, so
be warned.

-Ben Pitzer