[TriLUG] RE: This is what happens when a OS company shoots itsself in the foot (MS Vista)

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Wed Dec 27 11:12:46 EST 2006

I, respectfully, beg to differ and contend the open source community
produces the most awesome products.  Why?  Because the price is right and
lots of eyes scrutinize the source code such that no one inserts a program
that sends marketing information back to the source.

Isn't Apache still the dominate leader in the web server market?

It might not have the slickest GUI yet is, nonetheless, a truly awesome
product.

On the tech support, I changed my business model and now charge for free
support to purposely price my self out of that market.  Let the folks that
wait until things break instead of performing proactive maintenance go
elsewhere regardless of their OS.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Networks
tel: 919-838-1672 cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

[Jim Ray pontificates] snip

> With a few notable exceptions, the open source community fails to
> produce truly awesome products.  Part of the problem is the "scratch
> an itch" basis upon which open source projects often come into being
> and the Unixy "do one thing well" approach.  It's fine that the sort
> command doesn't read my mail or tell me what time it is, but that's
> just why it's no fertile garden for innovation.

[Jim Ray pontificates] snip