[TriLUG] SIP Softphone on Suse and Asterisk

Trevor Little trevormg19 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 17:00:23 EST 2006

Hello All,

This is my first time posting to this list. I hope to make it to the next
meeting.

I have Asterisk running on a P3 centos box at home. When I try to place a call
to it from my laptop (SUSE 10.1) using Twinkle I don't get any sound. I have
an extention set up to play the "Hello World" sound and hangup and it works
great if you call from a Windows box with X-Lite, but I can't get it to work
from any client on my laptop. Here's what the console shows on the Asterisk
server:

Connected to Asterisk 1.2.13 currently running on creanga (pid = 27463)
Verbosity is at least 9
    -- Registered SIP 'tlittle' at 152.52.0.2 port 12600 expires 3600
    -- Saved useragent "Twinkle/0.5" for peer tlittle
    -- Executing Answer("SIP/tlittle-087e1bd0", "") in new stack
    -- Executing Playback("SIP/tlittle-087e1bd0", "hello-world") in new stack
    -- Playing 'hello-world' (language 'en')
    -- Executing Hangup("SIP/tlittle-087e1bd0", "") in new stack
  == Spawn extension (default, 900, 3) exited non-zero on
'SIP/tlittle-087e1bd0'

That's the same thing that it shows when  I call from a windows machine so I'm
pretty sure that the server is working.

Does anyone have experience withthis kind of problem or know of a better
softphone to use with Suse? X-Lite has trouble even registering with the
server and linphone has the same problem as Twinkle (no sound).

I use skype on my laptop all the time so I know that the microphone and
speakers are working.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
--
Trevor Little