[TriLUG] IDE Recommendations?

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Fri Dec 29 13:05:39 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 12:10 -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 11:55 -0500, William Sutton wrote:
> > Something on the order of eclipse?
>
> Yes, but I'll be using it for C++ development (should have specified
> that before).  I know that eclipse has a C++ plugin, but it's not
> stabilized in Gentoo (in fact, it's hard masked testing).  I'd prefer
> something that was stable in the Gentoo tree if I may.  I do like
> Eclipse though - I've used it for Java development in the past and it's
> fantastic!  Oh, and I didn't mean to request that it iterface well with
> gdm, I meant gdb :P

I've only given these two projects a quick look, but they look
promising. They work together to provide an IDE, integrating with gdb.

http://sourcenav.sourceforge.net/
http://sources.redhat.com/insight/

They appear in Gentoo as sourcenav and insight. I'd be interested to
hear about your experience with them if you give them a try.

Owen